Día de los Muertos is a time for joyful celebration. You need an outfit that looks the part. Unlike Halloween, which is all about being scary and ghoulish, your Day of the Dead look could feature a flower crown or dashing floral top hat. Best of all, you can paint your face with beautiful calavera make-up. Calavera is Spanish for skull, and the festival's skull makeup is inspired by an elegant skeleton called La Calavera Catrina, most famously depicted in a mural by Diego Rivera. With the help of our step-by-step plan below, we'll show you how to paint your face with a unique half-face calavera. Half of a skull on your face means you're celebrating death and life at the same time — which is what Día de los Muertos is all about.
You will need
- Make-up or face paint (in colours such as black, dark purple, light purple, soft pink, green)
- Eye shadow
- First make a large circle with a dark colour like purple around the eyes. Colour in the circle completely.
- Use black to small make semicircles around the large circle.
- Colour in the semicircles with soft pink.
- Put a dark-coloured dot in each one.
- Draw a thin green line in the dark purple area around the eyes.
- Create a shadow on the jaw line if necessary.
- Paint the nose black with an upside down heart or triangle that points upwards.
- Paint two identical decorations on the forehead (with eg light purple).
- Add decorative details like green stripes.
- Make the right half of your lips red. Edge your cupid's bow with a thin, black line.
- At the corner of the mouth, draw a black line to the ears, over the cheekbones.
- Blur the black line down a little with a brush.
- Use purple to create another decoration under the black line.
- Draw a flower on the chin with a soft colour like pink, adding the green leaf below.
Share your gorgeous creations with us on social media with #funnyhowflowersdothat and #ddlm