you will need
- Pumpkins in different sizes and colours
- Sharp knife
- A container for fresh water
- Possibly a Stanley knife
- Classic autumn flowers, such as chrysanthemum, rose, carnation, hypericum and Physalis
how to make it
Cut the top of the pumpkin with a sharp knife. You won't need this funny little hat anymore. Now think about how big you want to make the hollow space in the pumpkin. How many flowers do you want to fit inside? Using a spoon, hollow out the pumpkin further and further, removing threads and seeds. It is a tough job and there is a good chance you will look like an orange monster afterwards.
Also keep in mind that you need to make room for a container. This is where you put clean water to keep your flowers fresh for as long as possible. This could be the bottom of an old bottle, or a small bowl from your ceramic collection.
When the hollow is big enough, place the container with fresh water inside the pumpkin. Inside, put your chosen flowers. Put them in separately or make small bouquets. Take a look at our bouquet recipe for a lovely autumn bouquet for that ultimate autumn feeling.
KEEP YOUR PUMPKINS BEAUTIFUL FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE
You can't prevent your pumpkin pot from decaying over time, but you can slow down this process. With the tips below you can enjoy your pumpkin plant pot for as long as possible:
- Grease the outside of your pumpkin with Vaseline or sunflower oil. This has a water-repellent effect, so that the pumpkin is less likely to rot. An additional advantage it that this will make your pumpkin shine!
- It's best to place your pumpkins in a sheltered, relatively dark place. Avoid bright sunlight.
- Frost coming? Then put your pumpkin pot inside. Pumpkins do not tolerate extreme cold well.
- To prevent your pumpkin from moulding prematurely, place it in a container with chlorinated water. Then drain your pumpkin well and pat it completely dry. No chlorine in the house? Spraying with hairspray also works.
- Do you notice that your pumpkin is drying out or shrinking? You can place it in a container with water so that it has more volume afterwards. After the immersion bath, let your pumpkin drain well and pat it completely dry.
- Place your plant including its pot in the pumpkin. If your pumpkin pot has deteriorated over time, you can easily place the plant in a new pumpkin, or give your green friend another beautiful spot in your home or garden.
A COLOURFUL PUMPKIN COLLECTION
Were you a little too enthusiastic in stocking up on pumpkins? No problem, you can make a delicious soup for them during an autumn get-together or paint them with flowers. Or use real flowers to dress up the pumpkins!
MORE AUTUMN INSPIRATION
Get inspired for autumn with this harvest bouquet, or give your mood a lift with this mood booster bouquet. We'd love to see the results of our suggestions! Let us know on Facebook and Instagram with the hashtag #funnyhowflowersdothat.