If you're celebrating Día de los Muertos, one stand-out costume idea is a dashing decorative top hat. It's a stylish, period alternative to a flower crown, and is a dressy, elegant choice for an outfit.
You will need
- A top hat (if you don't have a top hat, any hat will do)
- Iron wire
- Flower tape (try to find some that matches the colour of the hat)
- Flowers - we went for flame lily, vanda, gerbera, carnation and clematis, but you can choose your favourites.
How to make it
- Take two pieces of iron wire and turn them into a round ring by fastening them together with floral tape. Make it large enough to fit over the hat.
- Position a large flower against the wire and tape the flower stalk firmly to the ring. Do the same with a smaller flower next to it.
- Decorate one half of the ring, and then do the same on the other side until it is full of flowers.
- Slide the ring over the hat and adjust. That's it!
If you're keen to read more Día de los Muertos tutorials, then check out our flower altar, flower crown, and the Calavera Catrina make-up. Share your gorgeous creations with us on social media with #funnyhowflowersdothat and #ddlm — we'd love to see them!