This alternative Advent calendar works in reverse: instead of opening a gift each day, you add a fresh bloom to the day's pocket. As a result you will have a beautiful wall full of flowering festive cheer for Christmas. And after your Christmas dinner you can give each of your guests an original party bag to take home.
This is what you need:
- 24 simple brown paper bags
- 24 strong plastic bags
- 24 pegs made from branches
- Various flowers, such as amaryllis, helleborus, chrysanthemum, matricaria and tulips.
How to make the advent calendar
- Attach the pegs to the base in rows using the drill.
- Use a black felt pen to write the numbers 1 to 24 on the bags.
- Every day you place some water (or soaked florist’s foam) in a strong plastic bag, and put some lovely flowers in. Always use just one type of flower per bag.
- Use diehards such as chrysanthemum and ilex at the top, and only use quick bloomers like tulips later.
- Advent always has four Sundays and ends on December 24, when Christmas begins: it’s great to use holly for your grand finale.
Want to get in the Advent mood? We also have a beautiful wreath which is very Christmas 2014!